Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chicken Crepes

"Would you like a shmoke und a pancake. You know, a flapjack und a shigarette? No? Shigar und a waffle? No? Pipe und a crepe? No? Bong und a blintz? No? Well, then there ish no pleashing you."

For Valentines Day I decided to make my hubby a very yummy dinner. I pulled out my recipe books and found a dish I have never made but eaten tons of times and loved: Chicken Crepes. I'll be honest, they were amazing :) And I made them again last night which is kind of crazy because they take a lot of work--nothing in the recipe is very hard but there are several steps to complete. Next time I will be smarter and make the crepes and boil and shred the chicken in advance (either the day before or in the morning the day of). Of course that's what I said after the first time I made them...Here's the fabulous recipe:

Crepes: (from Lionhouse Cookbook)
3/4 C flour
3 eggs
1/2 C milk
1/2 C water
3 T butter

Double the recipe if you're making a full serving of chicken crepes (about 12-14 wrapped crepes) and make the crepes about twice as thick as dessert/breakfast crepes.

Chicken Crepe Sauce: (from Cecily Horsley)

1/2 C butter
1/2 C flour
1 & 1/2 C half & half
1 can chicken broth

Heat flour and butter until bubbly. Stir in cream and broth. Cook until it boils and thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Divide sauce in 2 bowls (2/3 of it in one bowl and 1/3 in another).

To bigger portion add:
1 & 1/2 lbs diced or shredded chicken
1/2 C mushrooms and/or 1 large diced zucchini (I prefer it with just zucchini)
Fill crepes with chicken and sauce mixture and line them up in a greased pan.

To remaining portion thoroughly mix in:
1/2 C sour cream
Spoon over crepes. Heat dish in the oven at 350 for 15-20 mins.


**anyone recognize the quote from the top? it's from a movie and as B class as it is it makes me laugh--a lot...

**and who doesn't love a picture of Caroline right? Thought I'd throw one in from the weekend. While I cleaned the house on Saturday Joseph entertained the kids--guess he and Bentley were playing target practice on Cares--but she LOVES that "seat belt" and feels quite stylish in it!


4 comments:

Joseph said...

Babe, those were way good. I had them again for lunch today. I know the movie, of course, but I won't spoil it for any others who want to guess.

Heidi said...

Um... Austin Powers- Goldmember? I think it was on just the other night, otherwise I would have no clue.

Those sound way yummy. Is that the same crepe recipe that is in your cookbook?

Anonymous said...

Those really are the best. I am looking forward to making them soon (maybe after our trip). Nothing like butter and cream to make a meal taste good!

Maggie said...

Yummy crepes and way funny that cares is target practice.