Wednesday, March 26, 2008

In Case You Read On

On Easter morning we headed to 9:00 sacrament meeting thinking it would be the best way to start off our Easter holiday. Plus, that would allow us to begin the egg hunt once it had warmed up a little more outside. In all honesty, I wasn't really feeling it during church--meaning the reverence for and joy in the whole purpose of that holiday in the first place. And by the end of the day I realized I had really missed the target and hadn't taken the time to appreciate my Savior and His life and sacrifice for us. During the weekend I had noticed the striking beauties of nature while we enjoyed the spring weather, and I did stop to sit down a few times and watch all the children happily playing. These things certainly filled my soul but I really felt the desire for spiritual nourishment and just hadn't found it or set the time apart for it.

Well, earlier today, I read a letter from my little brother who has just survived, and seriously, barely survived, his first 2 weeks of boot camp with the marine corps. And he is suffering a lot. I am really glad he was so honest in his sentiments and descriptions because they really made his circumstances clear and made this whole experience of his feel very real for me as an outsider. My head tells me that this time of serious mental and physical strain will help him to become the man he needs to be. And my heart just feels sorrow for his soul--that it seems so belittled and heavy and alone. And suddenly I have been thinking about my Savior so much; how aware of our needs He is, how He suffered through more than anyone will ever have to suffer, how He willingly offered himself up simply so He could succor our needs in times of trial, heartache, frustration and fear, and how He appeared after His death to His beloved disciples and later to the Nephites to teach them face to face of His Gospel and then pray for them and bless them. Anytime I feel the need to be more loved or receive more strength than I think I have, I rely on my Savior to lift my heart and feed my soul. And now I am relying on Him to do this for my little brother.

"For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall...and the Lord God will wipe away the tears from off all faces..."
Isaiah 25:4 & 8

So that is how I came to find some meaning in Easter this year, even if it was a few days late.

4 comments:

Team Gilmore said...

You all look adorable in your Easter-wear! Cute, cute! I had no idea though that Marsh had joined the marine corp, what a crazy experience that must be. Where is he located? Please give him my best - I hope it turns out to be the life changing or life purpose experience he is hoping for. All my best to you and your family Care! Love, Meg

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said.

Heidi said...

I have been thinking a lot about this exact same thing but I keep worrying if Marsh is thinking it or realizing it. I hope and pray so hard that he is and he will know where to turn for peace and comfort.

Did you get your own letter from Marsh?

Krista said...

bummer. I totally had a long comment and when I went to publish it kicked me off. I think heidi and I are publishing at the exact time and she beat me. anyway, I was thinking exactly what cec said. beautiful and poetic. thanks so much for sharing. I love marsh and that's funny because I don't really know him that well but I do care a lot about him. I hope that you will cont. to keep us updated. I also hope and pray things will head upwards for him IF it is his time and he is ready for it. I'm sure it is so humbling and hard to be out there, also feeling alone without family. This could be really good for him and finding that spiritual light if he is seeking it.