Monday, October 29, 2007

LeBarie Scaries

We had our fabulous LeBaron Halloween party Saturday night. Jessica and Krista's blogs capture it perfectly so check them out here and here. Thanks Nanny and Grandpa for the yummy dinner and all the prizes!

Here's the seriously scary thing that happened that day and it had nothing to do with our party. As I drove home from St George on Saturday afternoon I pulled a totally dumb mommy-move and reached back to help Bentley adjust his pillow. Next thing I knew, we veered off the highway, hit a metal mile marker, spun back onto the road and across both lanes of traffic before sliding off the left side again and stopping in the grassy section between the north and south bound traffic. I honestly couldn't believe it had just happened and that 1) we were all totally fine (Cares was still sound asleep in her carseat) and 2) no other cars were involved. It's still kind of a big blur in my memory (luckily right?). Cecily was caravaning home with us and witnessed it all in horror. She was certain we were going to be severely injured or worse from what she saw happening in front of her. I'm still amazed that we weren't hurt--we were really blessed. Once we stopped and assessed the damage (2 flat tires on the right side of the car and a banged in bumper where we hit the mile-marker), Cec gathered us up into her car with the help of 3 other gracious people who stopped to help and check on us. From there we had a serious detour in Nephi talking to the sheriff and the wrecker/towing service before heading home and meeting Joseph just off of I-15 and Bangerter. Cec--can I ever thank you enough for being there and rescuing us?

We went home, grabbed our costumes for the party that night, threw together some cookie dough for ladyfingers, and rushed back out to Nanny's house. Just before we got there, I realized I had left all of the kids' costume gear and PJs neatly packed by the back door. Perfect. I almost lost it for about the 5th time that day but decided to just breathe and let it go. The party was a great distraction from all the stress and trauma of the day and the kids had loads of fun (especially Caroline the cowgirl in Gracie's adorable outfit!)

All those who braved costumes (the picture doesn't do Johnny's or Maggie's any justice. Mag was a 1980s Flori--so funny!) Caroline the major ham :) Crazy Beans wearing a fish pond prize Cares kissing Tillie Ladyfingers Halloween style (thanks to Joseph, Tommy and Jim for crafting such masterpieces) Can you spot the classic LeBaron pinkie toe and a replica of Joseph's big toe?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scary indeed. You forgot to mention that when you finally stopped, you were completely backwards. I am just so relieved that you lived. Seriously.

LOVE those pictures. Johnny's shorts are cracking me up! And Maggie dressed up as Flori is hilarious. Looks way fun! Glad you had this as a distraction after that scary afternoon.

Krista said...

hey thanks for not posting the rated R version of johnny's shorts! I'm so glad you guys lived and came to the party. You really are a trooper to come to the party after that crazy day. I love the pic of the fingers too it was a super cool touch to the party.

Heidi said...

Wow Care I can't believe that about the accident and all this time I had no idea. I am so glad to hear you are safe. What a crazy day that must have been. Luckily your kids will still get to wear their costumes on Halloween- what are they going to be??

I love you and am so glad you are all okay!