Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Happy Birthday Chandler

Chandler was my very first "in-law," joining our family when I was 16 years old. It was so different to have an "outsider" around for family parties and so on but as we got to know him it became really fun. I have to admit that I took my own sweet time in getting to know Chad. It was hard for me to let my big sister go--especially since we had only recently gotten to be very close friends. But once I decided to go ahead and be civil, even friendly with him, I discovered what a great guy he was.

Even though we didn't hang out a ton over the first few years Chad and Cec were married, I really have to thank him for being the older brother I needed--one who would go skiing with me over Christmas break, let me come boating with all his brothers down in AZ, and especially one who would listen as I talked about boys and dating and then share stories about growing up in Phoenix, attending BYU and serving a mission.

I will always be grateful to Chandler for welcoming Joseph and me into his home so frequently when we lived in Phoenix. He must have thought I was a permanent addition since I honestly hung out with Cec and Ethan about ten times a week (is that even possible?!) and ended up being at the Horsley townhouse often as his little family welcomed him home from work. During those 3 years, Chandler and Joseph developed quite a friendship and I am so happy that it has continued. They are good therapists for each other :)

Chandler is a loyal friend, firm in all his convictions, a playful and fun Dad, a font of knowledge--especially concerning all things relating to African game OR any movie made in the 80s for that matter. He is an intense and successful business man, has great taste in music, and seems to play any and all sports really well. Thanks for all the fun memories and for being such a force for good in our lives--Happy Birthday Chandler!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

My very first memory of Chandler is him helping me with my elementary school math. I don't think Cec was dating him at this time but maybe. I thought he was just some nice friend of hers at our house. Happy Birthday Chandler!

Bobbi said...

Heidi, how funny that you remember that! He is a great guy, a good big brother to all of you.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the kind words Care. We did get off to a bit of a slow start those first few years, but I am glad we have gotten to be good friends and occasional tennis partners. Where are we going to play this winter? You are just going to have to pick up squash. :) Chandler

mikemetcalf said...

I can also testify to his knowledge of 80's movies. I still have a list about 8 movies long and growing that I need to check out per Chandler's recommendation. It's a true pleasure working with you and knowing you! Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about my hubby! I still haven't tackled my own blog about him but maybe I am postponing it because I know I will become very emotional???
I am glad that you and Chad are friends and that you have been willing to let him be such a big part of your life (seeing as how I am a big part and he is married to me, hence he is a big part of your life :-)).
Your pics from your weekend are fun! I am so glad that your sickness didn't hit while you were relaxing with Joe! Glad you are feeling better though...let's play soon!