Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012

And suddenly it's a new year. I feel unprepared and yet eagerly optimistic about it. All of 2011 seemed to be consumed with hoping to be pregnant, then being pregnant and then welcoming baby Luke to the world. 2012 will be filled with all his milestones and they'll most likely be the last time I experience them with a newborn. Such a weird feeling for me, but I am excited for them all the same. I think Luke may have more pictures during his first few years than any of our other kids. I am determined to savor him.
Anyway, goals seem way too overwhelming for me right now with a 10 day old babe. All I really hope to do is rejoice in small successes: changing a diaper without Luke peeing everywhere, getting at least one 3 hour stretch of solid sleep during the night, finding time for a shower every day, and keeping on top of the abundant laundry a newborn creates. Nothing too exciting but all I can handle at present.
Our New Year celebrating was very low key last night. We did manage to go out to dinner without any fuss from our sleeping babe. And then we came home for some poppers, snaps and horn blowing all before 9:00 pm. Short and simple, and then Joseph and I were off to bed at 10:30 ourselves—gotta sleep when our baby does!

7 comments:

Flori said...

Oh yes, "partying" takes on a whole new meaning with a young family, doesn't it?! I think your goals sound totally worthy--you may even be overshooting to hope for a shower each day :) haha. Luke looks like a yummy one to savor. He is really sweet.

Heidi said...

Although I did party it up last night with friends, I am truly all about the early new year's bedtime.

Great photos of your kids!

Megan B ♥ said...

Here's to a happy happy happy new year!!!

Bobbi said...

With little ones, it's hard to stay up late. You are pretty impressive with all your Christmas get-togethers attendance and going out with your family for a New Year's dinner! Happy 2012! Although you wanted to be pregnant last year, won't it be nice to NOT be pg this year?! And that darling little boy to enjoy will make this year wonderful.

Maggie said...

Luke is so sweet. Wish I were there to snuggle him and hold him while you took a nap:). One step at a time, right? Newborns are a lot of work.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet picture!

I still feel like I am taking baby steps as far as big goals are concerned because I am in baby mode but Brigg turns one in three weeks so I think I need to step it up.

Lizzy said...

Can I just copy your New Year's resolutions? I laughed about not getting peed on. That is happening quite a bit at our house. How I love smushy new babies! Can't wait for Luke and Will to meet someday!