Friday, January 6, 2012

Grateful Heart

Doesn't every post need a cuddly picture of Luke?
I am surrounded by the most amazing people. During the past 10 days or so I have received so much help and service and love from friends and family—it overwhelms my heart.

When Luke was a week old my little sister, in town from Minnesota, left her tiny kids with her hubby and spent the morning at my house. She basically put all of our Christmas decorations away, sweetly listened to Bentley as he described his every move in an iPad zoo game, and started a crockpot dinner for us. Then she loaded up Bentley and Cares and took them to my nephew's birthday celebration at the movie theater. At one week out I was feeling pretty good but there is no way I could have done what she did for us that day.

The next day my mom came over, loaded up my 3 big kids and whisked them away for a fun day and sleepover at her house. I had such a clean and quiet house and worked on catching up on my sleep. It felt so good to just take care of my baby and me—healing days for us for sure. After their sleepover with grandma and grandpa my kids spent the next day playing at my big sister's house with much loved cousins. My sis had 8 kids at her house that day and when I stopped by to pick up my crew she sent us home with a complete dinner!

For the past 3 days we have had the pleasure of having my mother-in-law come and stay at our house. She showered her gourmet skills on us making delicious meals and filling my freezer with 7 ready to bake dinners...7! Of our family's favorites (BBQ pork ribs, chicken cordon blue, lasagna, chicken enchiladas...) She also did a thousand dishes, took Cares to ballet and kindergarten, walked the kids home from school, vacuumed my whole house and cleaned all 3 bathrooms, snuggled Luke while I showered, and babysat so Joseph and I could take Luke for his photo shoot and then see the new Sherlock Holmes movie. Oh, and she also found time to make dresses for the girls' dolls! I felt totally spoiled and yet she kept telling me she felt like she didn't do enough for us! Oh Ruth Ann, I for sure married the right boy :) Thank you a hundred times over!

There have also been sweet friends and neighbors and darling YW who have dropped by with gifts and meals and all kinds of love and support for our little family. I truly feel so blessed and humbled and grateful for all of it. I honestly forgot how taxing it is to be awake so often during the night and then try to run a household of busy, needy children all through the day (especially while my own body is trying to heal up and get back to normal). All of the help we've received has been wonderful and restorative. I am the luckiest and I know it. Thanks to all of you! 

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I am glad you have received so much help and support during this time Care. I wish I lived closer and could do more. Love you (and that photo of Luke with every cuddly fabric surrounding him)

Miki said...

Dear Ruth Ann,

My name is Miki and I am Carrie's friend. I am having my baby on January 12th. Can I borrow you for a couple of days? :-)

Bobbi said...

We have loved having the kids here overnight and during the dr. appts--Livs has finally warmed up to me and been quite fun! I am planning on coming over next week (since you didn't need me this week), so think of some more things you need done.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are getting so much help. Was today your first day alone with the kiddos? I can help again next week or the week after. Have Mom come out to stay and do laundry and play with kiddos and run errands and drive carpools for you next week and then I will help out the following week. I can't do as much as the moms can but I will try to do some!

Maggie said...

Love that you have had so much help and even got a special couple of days with my mom. Luke is soooo sweet.

Lizzy said...

Oh he is darling Carrie! Your family is amazing! Ruth Ann is incredible!