Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pool Day Fail


Last week of summer and finally a calm day to just play at the pool...but not so. We drove over to Draper to meet Joseph so we could lunch and swim with him when we discovered the pool is no longer open all afternoon but just in the evening. Boring. We drove to a park and played a bit instead (in swimsuits) but it was brutally hot out and my kids just wanted to get soaking wet. Solved that problem by driving all the way home and playing with the garden hose in the backyard. Even I needed a good head to toe soak with the freezing hose water and it felt so good.

Then the dark clouds rolled in with tons of thunder and lightning and eventually quite a rainstorm. Typical August weather around here.

We did however, succeed at making it to back to school night up at the elementary. It's fun to feel like we now run into many friendly faces and we know a lot of kids and parents from our ward, stake and now Bentley's 2 years of school. My kids were so funny and shy when they met their new teachers. I think it's cute, the mix of nerves and excitement surrounding the first few days of school. I am thrilled Beans' has a bestie, named Bruce, from both Kindergarten and 1st grade in his class again. And then he gets to make so many new friends! Cares doesn't know a soul in her class but she is amazing at meeting new kids and I am certain she will make a lovely transition when she finally starts Kindergarten (after Labor Day...)

Just a random note: I pulled some old books out of Cares' bookshelves the other day that I had as a kid and thought Bentley would like. He and Joseph just read Trouble for Trumpets and I had to steal some peeks at the wonderfully detailed illustrations in it. Such an odd story but I loved it as a kid.


4 comments:

Heidi said...

Whoa Trouble for Trumpets!! That brings back some memories.

Too bad about the pool. Can't believe You have two grade school kids now!

Maggie said...

I also can't believe you have 2 grade school kids!! Time flies. Hope all is well. Love your baby bump.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Draper pool is already closed either! Guess that makes sense with those kids in school already (I know Cath's kids started back this week). I also can't believe that I haven't been to Lifetime this summer! Two little ones on various nap schedules makes it tough, but the real reason is that i can't call you and meet you over there! Those were the good old days...

We had back to school night for Eth last night and it was absolute mayhem! 7 periods worth of teachers to see...and we took the whole family and a stroller to fight the bazillion other people in the hallways and the classrooms. Big mistake. Huge!

Cares will have a great year and make many friends. Kindergarten year is the best.

Bobbi said...

Too bad about the pool, it's still so hot and needed! Good luck to the kids in school this year--2 of them!