Tuesday, May 24, 2011

To My 5 Year Old


Sweet Caresie--Happy Birthday!

5 years old today and as bright and happy and girlie as ever. You are a lively and energetic presence in our home and keep both your siblings so happy. I love how you try new things to be like Bentley (riding your new bike, playing soccer, drawing all sorts of cool things) and how you indulge your little girl side by playing with Livs (dollies and Barbies, babies and dress-ups). You have filled the role of middle child so easily the past few years and your siblings love you so well for it.

I love to sit with you every day while we eat lunch together. The light streams in from the sliding glass doors and hits your face so perfectly. Your gorgeous green eyes shine in it and your darling little freckles show-up just so—I think you are stunning and I could inspect you all day. I have thought these things from the moment I met you, in fact, 5 years ago at 10:30 in the morning. You surprised me by wanting to be born 3 weeks early only to find out you were breach—but determined to put me into labor nonetheless. I was scared and worried how we'd both make it through labor and delivery. Luckily, you were turned around while inside of me, and you stayed in perfect position until I was ready to push you out. You arrived safely and perfectly and I could barely believe my body had created this beautiful, delicate, daughter resting in my arms. I have loved to hold and snuggle you every day since then and I am so happy you are mine.

I love how you laugh, make friends so easily, aren't afraid of new things, race around the soccer field and score goals when you're really into the game. I love your kindness, your tender hugs, your quick mind and newly acquired reading skills. I love how you adore skirts and ruffles, headbands and bows and braids, babies and puppies and basically everything cuddly and sweet. Thanks for being my girl (and my tiny twin :) and for being you. I love you forever--

Mommy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet. I love that your little girl is a fireball...full of personality and enthusiasm for things. We love love love that you had a girl to be so close to Maddie and hope that they will forever be dear friends, just like their mommies.

Heidi said...

Happy birthday Cares! That girl is one of my all time faves, she radiates such sweetness.

Bobbi said...

This is Dad
Caroline certainly reminds us of you as a sweet little girl.
Can't help but love you both (and your entire family so much). Happy Birthday to Mom and daughter.

Krista said...

oh sweet caresie. Can't wait to see you again! Sisi is so excited too. Happy Birthday big 5 year old. This year is a big year for you.

Bobbi said...

Hmmm, I was sure I wrote a comment here but must have not published it. Anyway, this darling little girl does tug at our hearts as she looks so like her mom. And her bubbly little personality endears her even more. I hope it is a wonderful year for sweet Caroline.