Saturday, May 14, 2011

All For Today

After months of rehearsing my dancers had their big recital at Kingsbury Hall today. Performance day makes me truly love my job. I was so proud of my students and the beautiful work we created together. This year I felt especially lucky to dance with this gorgeous girl:

My niece Maddie
I know I am biased but this girl is a good dancer.
I love to watch her move and see her natural grace and full joy.
She made this shape all on her own too...see what I mean?

my Kindergarten—2nd grade class

some of my 3rd—5th grade class

I made purple hair clips for them to remember their dance (and match their costumes)

The younger ones each got a handmade lacing card:

front view

back view with a little inspiration added on

Whenever I have danced, my choreographers have always thanked me for my participation and hard work in some way. Even though I am paid to teach these lovely girls, I still think it proper etiquette to thank them every year with a small gift–I like things that help them remember their shining moments on stage.

and then they treat me to happy smiles, big hugs and my own pretty flowers (thanks sis:)



Thank you mom and dad, for letting me be a dancer when I was young (paying for it year after year, buying endless leotards and ballet shoes, and attending so very many performances). Dancing has always been in my blood and led to so many important paths for me. It has been a huge gift in my life, and now, teaching others to find their strength and selves as they skip and stretch, melt and reach, leap and prance and fly—it brings such happiness to my life.



5 comments:

Heidi said...

I hope to one day see your little dancers perform. I absolutely loved being dragged to all your dance performances when I was young. So fun to have Maddie in your class.

Anonymous said...

I am so grateful that Maddie had this opportunity to learn from her auntie. She loved the car rides to dance every week and would tell me what you talked about. I never had one on one time with my aunts and I think you and Maddie will have a special bond because of it.

Both of the dances that you choreographed were amazing. So creative and fun. Maddie was, of course, the best one up there because she moves with such ease, just like you. She smiles when she dances and that is how I remember you at your performances...you LOVED dancing and it showed. Maddie will be your little prodigy.

Bobbi said...

From Dad,
I am absolutely delighted that you have been able to teach your sweet little niece some of your love for and skill with dance. You have such expressive capability with choreography and performance, that it has to infect all of your students. Maddie is our star because she belongs to all of us. You are more than welcome for the investment we made in you..

Bobbi said...

We were sad to be out of town and miss the big day. We would have loved to be there to celebrate the talent of our daughter and our granddaughter. I'm glad you have continued to use that gift and love of dance. And darling Maddie--she had been blessed to have you for a teacher! She has some natural talent and has learned much from her Aunt Carrie.
And I loved all those recitals and dance concerts!

Krista said...

maddie looks gorgeous with that pose! That is so awesome that you have little performers care. I love that you teach!