Saturday, May 7, 2011

Days as a Mother

My typical day as a mother includes:

Rising early.
Snuggling sleepy bodies.
Making lunches.
Drawing endless stick-figured mommies and daddies for Livs.
Kissing bonks and bruises.
Wiping away hot tears.
Quelling fights and calming hurt feelings
Singing Sweet Baby James (with Cares) and Baby Mine (Livs).
Checking over Bentley's math homework.
Reading all kinds of books.
Washing non-stop dishes, and laundry, and hands and faces.
Brushing out tangles and braiding Cares' hair.
Laughing--off and on all day.
Hearing my name called a hundred times (half of which occur when Olivia wakes in the morning).
Trying hard to be patient when I hear my name called so incessantly.
Cleaning up toys, the table, and the kitchen over and over.
Working hard for the people I love the most in the world.
Thanking my Father in Heaven every night for giving me the gift of motherhood 3 times over.

Being a mother is hard. I am worn out every night and wish I could sleep longer every morning. But I take great pride in my job and know no one can raise my children better than I can--that no one could ever love them the way I do and that makes me eternally tied to their happiness and well-being. I owe it to them and to me to mother them the best way I know how. And those moments when I am doing it right, and I feel tiny hands gripping mine with glee or see a child learn something new with me at their side, I feel total and complete happiness. Those are the times I feel like I am truly living up to my most sacred role, and the rewards outweigh all else.

I love being a mother.


5 comments:

Heidi said...

Thank for being such a powerful and positive example in my life. Happy mother's day Sis!

Maggie said...

I can tell that you love being a mother. It shows :)Love and miss you. Happy Mother's day.

Justin said yesterday that Maisy looks like Bentley when she smiles. Cute kiddos.

Bobbi said...

You are a good mother. I used to worry a bit about you, the motivated achiever, in your future role as a mom, which is such a selfless role. But you have folded into this calling with the same commitment, enthusiasm, and hard work as you did in your other pursuits, and have excelled in this as well. Your children are blessed to be in your care!

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful mother to your own children, as well as to mine! They love you and feel so comfortable with you.

Thank you for the sweet reminder that I can't wish away my time as a mother of little ones...there are some truly precious moments that I want to remember forever and I need to be even more grateful for the 5 blessings that I have been given. They are such miracles.

Krista said...

loved this. I know you love being a mother too and know the best way to raise your sweet kids. Glad to have you as a fabulous mother role model :)