Monday, May 2, 2011

Clean, Organize and Clean Again


I am highly motivated by images like these to declare some sort of order in both Caroline and Olivia's rooms. I have been sorting their clothes and toys like crazy the past few days and love organizing. But how amazing would it be to have closets like these to work with?

What I love about them: 1) shelves at many different heights 2) coordinating bins in several sizes 3) short and easy to reach hanging rods 4) lighting in the closet (love the effect that has) 5) fun colors 6) use of the door space in the green closet.

I am inching (very slowly) toward having my girlies in the same room. And the closet in that room is quite substantial. But it is boring and nearly useless with one super high shelf and one very high bar running underneath it for the length of the closet. It needs some major life put into it before the girls can actually share it (let alone reach their own clothes).

Can Joseph and I do it ourselves? With IKEA practically down the street it seems like we could...but do we want to? Should I hire my builder who did our basement closets which are much more useful? Should we call a closet specialty place (aka California Closets)? I don't want to spend too much but really want it to look well-done and oh so orderly. And very feminine and fun too.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

yay I love your organization posts. fun closets, can't wait to see how the girls' turns out, no matter who does it!

Anonymous said...

Love these images! Where are they from? I know we have talked about doing the closets so many times but I really need to get on that soon. Let me know what you find out.

Bobbi said...

I like these, too. They would be perfect for children to reach the hanging rods, and to have lots of drawers and shelves for things. So cute! Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Carol said...

I would call your builder and ask him for the name of his trim guy. I hired a trim guy to re-do one of our closets and he only charged me $50 to do it. Yours might be more depending on what you want, but I had him add a row of shelves down half of the closet. Totally worth the expense, if you ask me. Of course, the shelves aren't painted, so you would have to factor in the cost of that as well if you wanted a prettier finish. Hope this helps!

Maggie said...

Those closets look dreamy. You know what? I bet Tommy would be really good at doing closet stuff after doing all of his cabinet work.

My girls just really started sharing a room this last week. You'll have to take pictures when you get them all set up. We miss you guys.