Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy 4th!


A little morning stroll up in the mountains.











And then back to the heat of the valley for a family BBQ (except that we opted for ice cream before our dinner--oh, and after too of course :)
Prepping for our fireworks show--I love Bentley's little pose here

The kids enjoyed the fancy fireworks from Nanny's lap

before they suddenly got too loud and a bit scary :)

I truly love America. And I love that we have a special holiday to celebrate its founding and our subsequent freedoms and opportunities. Today in Relief Society we sang the 3 verses of The Star Spangled Banner found in the hymn book. I could hardly make it through the first few lines without feeling overcome with emotion. I think I mainly cried through the song rather than singing it :) It is such a powerful anthem and I always love hearing it. But the words of the final verse really hit me today--especially because there's a certain Marine I kept thinking of:

O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us as a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally cried today too when we sang all 3 verses at the end of Sacrament. I don't think I have ever made it through that song without tears. And it does have more meaning when we have a special Marine training to defend our country.

Heidi said...

O man we sang that song in church today but I didn't really get into the lyrics because I was trying to get Max to stop screaming. Oh well. that is a great verse.

Krista said...

cute pics. Care's dress is so sweet. I wish we could have watched some fireworks. at least there is the 24th too!