Thursday, November 29, 2007

I Heart Christmas Music

Who doesn't love Christmas music? It reminds me of all things festive and happy like snow falling outside, family gathering around, eating cinnamon rolls on Christmas Eve, welcoming Santa to our family parties over the years, and most importantly, it continually reminds me of the birth of our Savior. I don't know if I am finally 'growing up' but I honestly cannot make it through my favorite songs about Jesus' birth without tearing up while feeling the beauty of that event fill my whole heart. I actually love it but it makes me laugh afterwards when I am simply driving around town with the kids and I suddenly have a face full of tears and squeaky voice due to my emotions. Here are a few of my favorite songs:

1) Favorite New Song: In a Bleak Midwinter by Sarah McLachlan
It's a gorgeous, less popular song which showcases Sarah at her finest. See here for lyrics.

2) Favorite New Arrangement: I'll Be Home for Christmas by Michael Buble
I just love Michael's voice and this sentimental song is always comforting--fills my heart with joy for actually getting to be home for Christmas with all my family around me (in-laws included:)

3) Favorite Random: Were You There?
The only arrangement I have of this song is a piano solo by John Schmidt which is mild and gentle, and very lovely. But I love this song because the lyrics are so tender and beautiful. My husband and I sang it as a duet for our ward Christmas party our first year living in Phoenix. Since then it has been a favorite. Here are the lyrics:

Where you there? Where you there
On that Christmas night?
When the world was filled with a holy light?
Where you there to behold as the wonder foretold
Came to Earth?

Did you see? Did you see?
How they hailed him king?
With their gifts so rare that they chose to bring?
Did you see how they bowed as they praised him aloud
At his birth?

Did you hear how the choirs of angels sang
At the glory of the sight?
Did you hear how the bells of Heaven rang
All through the night?

Did you know, did you know
It was God's own son?
The salvation of the world begun?
Did you know it was love that was sent from above
To the Earth?

Did you know it was love that was sent from above
To the Earth?


4) Lifelong Favorite: any German Christmas carol
I am certain that the very first Christmas song I memorized as a child was either Kling Glokchen Kling or Leise rieselt der Schnee. My family is all a little German at heart due to our 3 years living there back in the 80s. Thanks to the fabulous Heintje, we enjoyed all our favorite Christmas music auf Deutsch every year even after moving back to the states (and we still do thanks to the option of recording records onto CDs).

5) Favorite Classic: Silent Night
See here to read my feelings from last year (captured on Heidi's blog...)

In all honesty, I love every song and especially love this time of year :)

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh I started crying just from reading those lyrics. Christmas music is so beautiful and wonderful and some of it's just fun too! am so grateful for this entire season to celebrate His birth.

Funny that you posted this because I was just thinking this week that I wanted to post about my top ten favorite christmas albums. Yours was much more touching than mine would have been/will be though!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this entry. I teared up (with your sentiments and the lyrics to that song)and also laughed (when you wrote about driving around with teary eyes...I do the same thing!). When I was making that mix for you to take to Heidi, I was pondering over my reasons for choosing each song and I thought about writing it down. Good idea for the blog...I need to copy you!

nana_nytowl said...

Thanks for posting these lyrics.

I've loved this song for many years. It's a shame that you can't find it on any "popular" singer's (such as Barry Manilow, etc.) Christmas albums. It's such a beautiful song.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.