Tuesday, November 13, 2007

This Week's Musings

Disclaimer: The first paragraph is totally gross--not for those with any aversion to throw-up. Oh--and the pictures are of some recent home decor I set-up for Jessica's baby shower at my house. They only match a fraction of this entry but they look nice and festive :)

1) How can I clean the fabric seats in my current rental car so that they no longer smell like throw-up? I have tried Armor All cleaning wipes, Clorox wipes, good old hot water and now just have a super strong air freshener hanging from the rear-view mirror. The source of all the vomit--none other than my tiny pro-barfer, Caroline. She has thrown-up 3 times in one week--and each time in the Dodge Magnum rental. Thanks to a mild concussion and a way yucky cough/cold Cares has outdone herself (and this is saying a lot for her since she has been a heroic barfer ever since she began eating solids).

2) What better art is there to hang in my home than portraits of my kids? Seriously, my newest prints, courtesy of the fabulous Rebecca Mudrick, are worth every penny (and still cheaper than any painting I have ever really wanted to buy).

3) Why do I only get serious about really cleaning my house and getting things in order when I am going to have company over? I guess that's one reason why I offer to host things like Sunday dinner every once in a while, enrichment activities, and baby/bridal showers--kicks me into gear. I am learning that I cannot get much accomplished when I own the equivalent of 2 wrecking balls in the form of children which magically destroy any progress I make in cleaning anything (especially the kitchen floor and bathroom toilets--can anyone say "3 year old boy??").

4) How can I make myself get more sleep? I am fighting a cold and really need to sleep but I simply cannot make myself go to bed before 11:00 (and usually it's midnight!) I am so much like my mom in that I love the quiet and stress free world of my house at night. I can get so much done on my computer like lesson plans for dance and Bentley's preschool, blogging, my church callings, and Christmas and family history projects. Or, I can simply sit and watch DVRed shows that I have been saving for days and enjoy the downtime without any interruptions. My kids wake up around 7:00 am every day so there's no rest for the weary come morning. Anyone know how to get me into bed already? ;)

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Way cute house decorations! And I love the framed photos. When was the shower? Sounds fun!

Sorry I do not know much about getting vomit smells out of cars or about how to make you go to sleep earlier. I am in bed by like 9 or 9:30 every night but maybe I will appreciate the later hours of the night once I have kids keeping me busy all day.

Krista said...

oh I'm the same with going to bed late. Sorry, no advice. I love the pics and fall decorations. I love that you hosted the shower too. I agree, it helps to host stuff to get your house super clean but it is a lot of work! Your house looked fabulous too for Jess' shower. I also enjoyed that you called your kids "wrecking balls" that is clever. I hope you get feeling better. I've been taking vitamin C daily for the past month and I'm not kidding I think it really has saved me from some starters of colds.

Bobbi said...

Great decorations, Carrie. Where did you get those red/orange berry balls? And, although I am the veteran of 5 kids (Heidi was my champion up-chucker), I have no magic cure for the smell, either. Only tossing it in the washing machine! Maybe take it to Bishoff's. The photos are priceless, what beautiful babes.

Anonymous said...

No advice for the throw-up in the car. Good thing you are only in the magnum!
As for going to bed earlier, I am as guilty as you. I fight sleepy eyes for as long as possible so that I can work on the computer or watch a show or read (although if I am super tired, reading just knocks me out). I should go to bed so that I can get up early and feel ready to start the day with a trip to the gym. But when I don't shut my eyes before 11:30 or 12, the 6:00 am alarm comes way too quickly.
LOVE the decorations and the framed pictures. I heart Rebecca. And I heart your kids.

Katherine said...

Oh how I relate!!! I am a zombie come Friday afternoon after a week fo staying up way too late and getting up too early. I can see my face aging before my eyes!! I just can't go to bed when there is so much to do...