Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Old Friends

I found this wonderful quote from an article in Real Simple magazine last spring. It's about the value of our childhood and/or teenage friends and how important they are even when we are grown:
"[those friends] knew you when you had training wheels (then a training bra), commiserated with you when you got grounded, and relished every detail of your first kiss. They are your friends, who knew your family...and maybe even became an extended part of it. Inevitably, they drifted away in the face of geography, changing priorities or adult responsibilities. Finding them again can be powerful--because such friends knew you before you were a sorority sister, a marketing executive, or a stay-at-home mom. They give your life a sense of continuity, reminding you of who you once were and connecting that childhood or adolescent self to the adult you have become."
I spent an evening with many of these high school friends just the other night. We gathered at my mom' s house and could have spent hours talking about all that has happened since we last saw each other and how much fun we had as energetic teenagers always ready for a crazy adventure or a silly prank!

I love you girls! I think back to those Jr. high days when I met most of you and can only wonder in awe how we all came together and built such strong friendships. Thank you for loving me and sheltering me with your friendship all those years ago even when I was acne ridden, boy-crazy, emotional, and unsure of myself. I've certainly been privileged to know and love you all! at our Christmas dinner back in 1997!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Care you sure do have great friends! I always thought you guys were way cool when I was growing up(you were, right ;-))

Bobbi said...

Those are fine young women, Carrie. You were (and are) so blessed to have them as friends. As the quote said, they became a part of our extended family as they went with us to the cabin or waterskiing or Lake Powell. Dad and I love them, too! I'm so glad I got to see many of them the other night.

Katherine said...

Care-
I LOVE that quote and I can't tell you how much I feel the same about it! It seems virtually impossible to replace the people who knew you before you really knew yourself. My mom always told me how lucky I was to have such great friends and the older I get the more I appreciate it. Thanks for being a great friend for all of these years! Now, let's get the rest of them blogging!!! :)

Carrie said...

that's so true Kath--I'm glad we never took each other for granted during high school--we knew we had such amazing friends! And we DO need to get everyone blogging--it's be so fun!