Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Happy List

I started making a "happy list" last month. Basically, I began jotting down (well, typing in all honesty) anything that makes me happy whether it be simple and mundane or spiritual and eternal in nature. The last time I did this was exactly 10 years ago and in about a month's time I had named 134 things, people, places, activities, etc... (the total amount which would fit on my lined paper!) It's so fun to read over the things I valued as a Junior in high school. I can see that I have grown up a lot but that I am still the same old Carrie too. For example, these things didn't quite make it on my list this time around: #86) driving a boy's car, #124) school spirit, #116) Mario Cart, #90) sleuthing (spying), #23) my dog Tilly, #64) swimming at Ryan Parker's house, #25) SLLRA, and #63) frozen yogurt outings. However, I still love: #6) sunshine, #16) clear, glassy waterskiing water, #28) cookie dough, #32) new shoes, #38) dancing, #54) reading my journal, #72) praying, #81) sisters, #98) Hawaii, #131) freshly shaved faces, and #134) seeing someone I've missed.

I began a new list simply because I wanted to feel grateful and remember how blessed I am, especially on those days when I am feeling discouraged or frustrated. Lately, I think my faith seems to be less than it should--my faith in others and in myself as well as my faith in the fact that my daily prayers are heard and answered. It is imperative for me that I see all the ways my Father in Heaven is blessing me and loving me and extending His hand into my life. With that assurance and calm understanding I can continue to express the desires of my heart even if they aren't met in the timetable or way that I expect.
D&C 78:17-19 "Verily, verily I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you. And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours. And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more."
Some things from my recent list: #3) Kissing my babies goodnight when they are sound asleep, #23) Hour long phone conversations, #24) Heidi’s almost daily blog entries, #16) All the love notes and cards from Joseph that I have saved over the years, #53) Jogging in Hyde Park, #55) Thinking of my “little Ben” while standing right by Big Ben, #44) Summer Vacation with the WHOLE family, #6) Caroline’s fluffy hair, and #17) The Priesthood in my home.


8 comments:

Heidi said...

Care those are wonderful. I think that is a great idea and I should start a list too. I remember when you made that list in high school and you read the whole thing to me, but some of the things I didn't understand (I think they were inside jokes with your girlfriends). Love you and thanks for being such an inspirational woman in my life!

Heidi said...

PS- many of things make me happy as well, but for sure Caroline's fluff, you are so lucky you get to touch it everyday ;-)

Bobbi said...

What a lovely message, and perfect for these doldrum days of winter. In fact, my recurring cold (6 weeks so far) and a certain issue were really getting me down today, and this lifted me. Speaking of Caroline's fluff, down in St.G. I was showing MaryLou the cute crib set in the French bedroom when I noticed a black smear on the crib sheet. Looking closer I realized it was hair or fur. At first I thought it was some creature (cat? hairy scorpion?) and then remembered that it was little Cares who slept in there last. She was losing her newborn locks, and much of them were right there in the crib! Pretty funny. (I washed the sheet.)
Perhaps I will start a list, too. And certainly I will note that scripture. Thanks for sharing your strength and faith.

Katherine said...

I still have my Happy List too!! Anne Orton made us start them in Pep Club and I have never stopped adding to my list. I agree that things like "First kisses", "shammin", and "water ballooning" don't sit very high on my list any more, but it still makes me happy to read back through them and remember what happy times we had in high school! Isn't it wonderful to find so much joy in life? I feel sorry for people who don't know how to find happiness in the little things in life. Ultimately, for me, the little things add up to one very big happy life! Thanks for being an appreciator Care, I LOVE IT!!

Carrie said...

oh yes--Cares' hair is a treat every day! Kath--I bet so many of our items from those old lists would be exactly the same--we always had so much fun together. I love that you kept adding and adding to you rlist over time--what a great idea.

Lindsey said...

I love the Happy List! Thanks for sharing it - I may start one too.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post and reading it gave me a much needed lift as well. I also get caught up in the mundane and haven't taken the time lately to see the joy that even the little things can bring. One thing that has been nice with having Susan around this week is that I have found time to make sugar cookies with Willy, read lots of books with Maddie, visit and drink hot chocolate with Susan while watching the snow fall, listen to Ethan reading his chapter books and actually watch him build some of his new lego sets. I don't take time each day to appreciate what brings me happiness but this is a great reminder that I need to or it will slip away too quickly (it already is). You would for sure be on my happy list because you bring me great joy. Thanks for being my sister and dear friend!

Catherine said...

You are an inspiration to me! I need to get going on my blog and make a Happy List. What a fun entry. Thanks for the smile that your blog left on my face.