Friday, February 13, 2015

Early February

 Smith family gathering to celebrate my Dad's birthday 
(and the other February babies in our family)

 A morning at the aquarium with Cec and her young ones for Connor's birthday party.
Cec's kids were off-track and had lots of free time to stay and play while we had to get back to afternoon kindergarten.

 

 Fantastic read that I soaked up for a week. It was a little slow getting into but I loved learning about rowing and learning about a sport I didn't know anything about. Plus anytime I read about really hard, physical work it motivates me to push myself just a little bit harder with my own physical efforts (my inner athlete yearns to sweat and work and exhaust myself just because it feels so dang good! These rowers were pretty amazing physical machines and I loved hearing how life and struggle and work in the real world helped them to achieve greatness on the water...lots of life lessons there).

 Another fascinating read that I wanted to remember as I raise my children. These were key points I snapped screen shots of so I could have them to discuss key issues with Joseph and how we want to teach and help our kids. I am totally on board with doing things for a reason and investing our hearts and souls into all areas of life —to really live it and find the good and marrow in all of it, even it's hard and even if it's time consuming and even if, in the end, we don't win or make the audition or get some kind of prize. The beauty is in the journey and how it shapes us along the way.

 Preview of Livs's recital costume! She dancing to "The Circle of Life" from Lion King in this year's concert.

This is actually from a Saturday date we had on January 31st – but I never would have guessed we'd be biking during any day in January at all! This was the great winter that wasn't — Utah just really wanted to be in spring mode as soon as January started and I think I got about 10 outdoor rides in that month. Crazy!

 Pretty deer while hiking the Herriman trails one afternoon. I never knew I would love living in the foothills so much but I am a huge fan. Open space right outside my door, trails and hills right in my own neighborhood and views of the valley and Timp at every turn.


 February also marked the end of Bentley's Jr. Jazz season. His little team worked so hard this year! These 5th grade teams were really good and very tough competition. It's cool to see the teams getting better and better each year but I know it gets frustrating for Bentley to struggle to get even a little space so he can take a shot. He worked hard though, played his best at every game and even made a few baskets so that was really rewarding for him. His team has 8 players on it but somehow these 6 were the only ones who showed up consistently for games and practice, and for many games they only had 5 boys there which meant they didn't get any breaks and ran their hearts out for an entire game. As always I am so proud of my guy when he puts so much work and effort into anything — and I know he had a great time with his team.



No comments: