Wednesday, October 1, 2014

15 Years Together


 Just because my kiddos might read these words one day, I love this boy with all my heart. And yes, he's definitely become a man over the years, seriously we've grown up so much, but this boy right here in this picture—he is still the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm so glad he trusted his heart and followed his happiness above all else. Somehow that path led him to me and I cannot imagine who I would be or how lonely I might be without him.

One huge lesson we learned in dating others and in being in love with others before we met is that each of us needs a partner, a soul mate, a lover who makes us feel good. Who fills our lives with laughter and hope, who loves without holding back, and who makes things easy, even makes life easy because they are simply who they are. Joseph and I were lucky enough to discover that we found those things in each other and were so attracted to that joy and light we brought out in each other. The boy I had loved before Joseph was a good man with a huge heart but he and I had so much drama. I know I was younger then and definitely less mature, but I still ended up in tears all the time and we couldn't handle things well together. We fought a lot and I just figured that's what love was—dealing with crap and working through it and wading through rough water over and over again. But then I met my Joseph and I was floored with how easy it was. He was and still is just a very calm person who grounds my heart and lightens my soul. I could tell he did that from the very first date we went on! And I wanted to feel that way all the time (and so I wanted to be around him all the time!)

In the end we have had a fantastic ride. Of course in 15 years we have dealt with hard things and are certainly not free from fighting or bickering or outside drama that can dig at our own relationship, but we are still deeply in love and both committed to finding happiness together. And for that I am eternally grateful.



1 comment:

Heidi said...

You Guys make an awesome match, I'm really glad you found each other even though I was not ready to let you go back when it happened!