Saturday, April 21, 2012

Nursery Rhyme Girl

Caroline's Kindergarten class has just finished a unit on nursery rhymes. This week she brought home a folder filled with tons of rhymes, and pictures she had drawn to go with each one. That folder has been read all the way through at least 3 different times in the past few days as Cares has read it to me, Olivia and Joseph. She is so proud of her work. And her reading skills. But she truly has all those little rhymes memorized in her head too (and probably will forever!)

To culminate their learning the Kindergarteners hosted a Nursery Rhyme Festival at the school yesterday. They invited their families as well as the whole school to wander through their rooms and see and hear them recite nursery rhymes. Caroline chose to share "Starlight Starbright" and got very excited about being as sparkly and star-like as possible for her costume. I put sparkles all over her face and hair and she wore a perfectly suited gold outfit from Grandma Bobbi to go along with her gold and shiny plan. Our Cares looked vibrant and darling and did an excellent job reciting her lines.
The whole family was able to see her present her rhyme, even Bentley who came through with his class, found his little sis and gave her a big hug. She was so thrilled to see him and he was thrilled to see her—cute. It really is so fun to be in school together with siblings.
We love our school and it's been fun to have Cares doing some of the same things Bentley did when he was in Kindergarten (his nursery rhyme was "Roses Are Red") Next Friday Bentley's class is presenting a play all about grammar and he is quite excited for his own turn to act out lines and wear a costume.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

How adorable is this idea and sparkly Cares? I can totally imagine her little voice saying the rhyme to me right now.

Bobbi said...

She is a little star, for sure! Sorry I couldn't come.

Flori said...

Cares has such a sweet face--reminds me of Bea. I love the nursery rhymes and it always feels like a big accomplishment to memorize a poem, no matter how big or small. I'm so proud of her!
--
flori

Flori said...

Cares has such a sweet face--reminds me of Bea. I love the nursery rhymes and it always feels like a big accomplishment to memorize a poem, no matter how big or small. I'm so proud of her!
--
flori

Anonymous said...

What an adorable idea! Caresie's costume is perfect. I love kid costumes and kid performances at school. I will have to ask her to recite that for me when we see you guys this week!