Saturday, May 1, 2010

Clean

"I really love to clean. It's not anything compulsive, it's just that you can see a difference when you're through. Not like raising kids or something that you're not sure how it's going to turn out for a couple of decades."

--Jill Churchill, quoted from May's issue of Real Simple.


We worked all morning today cleaning the house. And while it is exhausting work, it is such satisfying work. I am the kind of girl who likes to dig in and get the housework all the way done all at once. Then, for the next few weeks, I can just do a little bit of daily cleaning and tidying. Although my kitchen floor sees the broom every day--sometimes two or three times. Lately I have become obsessed with crumbs--they are my arch enemies. And with 3 children eating meals and snacks they accumulate en masse. It is all I can do to wait until dinner is over before sweeping (or vacuuming--the Dyson works wonders under the kitchen table...)

I do love the feeling of getting real work done--especially dressing my freshly bathed children in crisp, clean PJ's and tucking them into bed--a huge task with all 3 of them in a row, but rewarding and wonderful at the same time.

I suddenly feel so nostalgic about my babes, raising them and nurturing them in these tender ages of theirs...listening to The Samples as I type isn't helping things. I really do adore my sweet little kiddos. Especially when they are happy and kind to each other and help all day picking up toys, arranging their little shoes, blankies and cuddly animals, and scrubbing the toilets with me. One thing is for sure--they are very good helpers. They may not be the best at keeping a freshly cleaned space actually looking clean for more than 10 minutes, but we will just have to work on that...

Nothing Lasts For Long-- by The Samples. Check it out if you aren't familiar. I have loved this song since the ripe old age of 16.



4 comments:

Heidi said...

I really think it is a unique and special time of life- having little ones in the home. I a pretty sure when I am old and gray this is the stage I will miss the most...

Krista said...

great song. I think I've been feeling those same feelings lately. It's very sweet. I'm jealous of your clean state right now...we just had a little b-day party for kai...ummmm messy is all I can say.

Bobbi said...

The all-clean is a nice feeling, but too temporary! Yes, do enjoy these sweet moments and years when they are safe in your care, when they love to help, and you are blessed with sweaty hugs. One certainly doesn't miss the teen-age years nearly as much as these years of family all-togetherness. Did you notice Tye's enchantment with Caroline this last visit? It's because even he, as a big brother, remembers your young years with such fondness (and Care reminds him so much of you). It is a busy time in your life, but also so very sweet. I am glad you are savoring it while it is happening.

Anonymous said...

That song gets me every time.

I have a new resolve to not worry so much about the mess. Really, it doesn't matter. But skipping out on play time with my kids just to do more chores? That does matter and I want to do better. I really can't imagine life without little ones around...it is what I have always wanted and when it goes away, I don't know how I will get through that!