Monday, May 17, 2010

ASU Graduation

Friday, May 14th, 2010


Tye Sherman Smith, Law School Graduate Class of 2010
Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University

Tye with his lovely wife and adorable son

the proud family


2 ASU grads

How crazy is it that 6 years ago almost to the day I stood outside the same building, on the same campus, dressed in my cap, gown (stunningly maroon of course) and newly achieved hood? I never would have guessed I'd be back for a sibling's graduation in later years. It was so much fun for me, reminiscing on my fond memories, favorite spots on campus and years of training, teaching and work. The dance building which housed my graduate lounge/office just happens to be next door to the law school--a place where I ate lunch about once a week thanks to the yummy sandwich shop inside. It's been fun to think about my brother walking the same halls, parking in the same lots, and riding the same shuttles these past few years.

But back to Friday...it was honestly a huge honor to be in the audience and hear my brother speak and see him graduate. If you know Tye, you know he is definitely an outspoken man and someone his entire class of 150 knew in one way or another. One other student spoke briefly during the ceremony after receiving an honorary award and his talk basically revolved around his classmates and a handful of specific ones who had stood out and really made their class what it was. Tye was surely on the list and the last one he spoke about, describing him as "the man, the myth, the voice..." and one of the most honest people he had ever met. It was very cool to be there and hear so much about my brother as a law student.

And of course, Tye's speech was really good. He delivered it so well and livened up the whole crowd. Cute Mason was so good during it and loved listening to his daddy's voice echoing across the auditorium.

We ended the day with nothing less than Tia Rosa's for dinner. I had been craving those refried beans for years! And then it was back to the airport for my late flight back. I left home at 5:00 am Friday morning to catch my 6:30 flight, and pulled back into my driveway just before midnight that night. It was a whirlwind day but I felt so lucky that my schedule (and ever so helpful, babysitting mother-in-law) allowed a quick day away.

**In a neighboring state on the very same day and nearly the same time, my brother-in-law graduated from medical school. I am so sad I couldn't be in two places at once. But congrats to both graduates and their little families!

I had to add these pics at the end to document Tye's fame. So many people congratulated him and thanked him for his speech--both friends and strangers alike. I think the following pics are both with strangers coming up to him--it was just a funny part of the day for me...



OK--my own ASU graduation pic. The pics from that day kill me because I was sooooo pregnant and swollen--my Bentley made his debut just about a week later. I mean, look how low that baby was? Such good memories though...



5 comments:

Heidi said...

Yeah it kind of sucked that they graduated on the same day. At least for me.

That is nice you were able to make it down for the day

Anonymous said...

I remember you in that swollen pregnant state! Was that really 6 years ago? Many great memories of our years down there together!

So fun that you could spend the day at ASU with Tye. I would have loved to go down with you but that day was already packed with big stuff here.

Stacey said...

(Tye here) Just wanted to thank my awesome sister for coming to my graduation. It was so fun to have you down here! Glad you enjoyed your time. You need to get the whole fam down here one of these days. Can't wait to see you again in Zion!

Krista said...

that is so awesome for your brother and awesome that you had a baby 1 week after graduation.

Katherine said...

AHHHH!!! I can't believe you were across the street on Saturday night!! Wish I'd have known. I'd have walked over to say hi!!!
Congrats to Tye. What a BIG day for your family in AZ and NV.
Also, your garage looks AWESOME. People here in AZ finish their garages off with paint etc. but I had never seen it before in UT. Hope your neighbors see your fresh, clean orange wall and have garage envy. :)