Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Working at the Temple

Tuesday night date night--working at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house. Joseph and I were assigned to work in "Physical Facilities"--a glamorous title for garbage duty :) We actually had a great time together and got to drive a golf cart around the temple grounds in order to gather all sorts of trash and refill water and ice in all 5 of the movie tents. Another part of our assignment included resupplying 2 bathrooms in the temple as well as the port-a-potties outside of it. And at one point we had an "emergency" and were required to use a haz-mat kit to clean up a soiled chair from one of the sealing rooms (a little one hadn't quite yet conquered potty-training...)


So yes--we were on garbage and bathroom duty all dressed up in our Sunday clothes. But it honestly was a really cool experience. Joe and I were the only ones to show up for our shift so we were very busy and had a lot to do--made us feel needed and very helpful. We also saw a lot of familiar faces from our ward and stake as they ushered, guided traffic in the parking lot, did security detail and so on. It takes about 600 volunteers a day to run an open house and just like everything with the church, it was all very organized and ran seamlessly. We also caught a quick visit with my in-laws and Flori and Rob's family in the hospitality tent once they were done with their tour. And they snuck us some cookies :)

I love to see the temple. I love to be in the temple. It sounds cliche but it's true. At one point we were being shown the bathrooms we would need to restock and check up on inside the temple and the Physical Facilities director let us sneak a peak into the children's waiting rooms tucked away in a corner near the sealing rooms. They were so lovely and practical with two child-sized tables already stocked with some toys and then a complete nursery with a changing table and beautiful wooden crib. We also saw all sizes of crisp, white shirts and pants and dresses for the children--all hung up and perfectly pressed, ready to be worn. Oh, it filled my heart with so much joy to think of all those families who will be sealed together in the temple. All of it made me so excited for "our" temple to be dedicated and up and running. I am eager to be there again and again. And now I know where all the bathrooms are so that is just an added bonus for me!

And thank you so so much Mom for coming out to our house to babysit while we worked. That little miss Olivia and her naughty stunts of refusing a bottle and causing so much drama...I thought we were in the clear after our Lagoon Day, but no--that Livies certainly likes to do things her own way...Oh boy--she sounds like such a rascal baby but she really is the sweetest, happiest little thing. For her mommy anyway :)

5 comments:

Krista said...

that's awesome that you volunteered there. I love that you made changing tp sound actually fun. :)

Kristin Sokol said...

We were on garbage duty too!

It was kinda yucky, but honestly, at least we were busy. I think I might go crazy standing in the same place and pointing for 5 hours.

We had a great time together moving wheel chairs and changing toilet paper rolls. We even snuck a cookie out of the hospitality tent a time or two.

Glad you guys got to join the physical facilites fun.

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't want to drive around in the golf cart and get a glimpse into the children's waiting area? So neat that you could serve and so neat that Mom would come tend the kiddos for you. Was Livvy really a naughty pants?

Heidi said...

Hey riding in golf cart sounds fun to me- even if it was loaded with garbage! How cool you guys had that opportunity to serve and be in the temple.

Bobbi said...

I was glad to serve in my own small way--helping you to get to serve! And it was fun for me too--well, the Bentley and Cares part, anyway! So sad that Livvies was unhappy, she has done well with me before. Isn't she quite young for "I want my Mommy and not you" recognition? I did have to laugh when she choked herself screaming so hard, and when she fell asleep in the middle of a howl.
I am glad to have kids that love the temple like I do. It is the sweetest, most peaceful and sacred place I have ever been. I am excited to come visit "your" new beautiful temple!