Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Albion Basin



My very favorite thing about our hike last night was the cool, crisp mountain air. I love driving up the canyon and watching (and feeling) the temperature drop and drop and drop. It makes me feel lucky--like I am getting away with something :) Being up in the mountains, deep into Little Cottonwood Canyon made my day. I love it up there.



Now, I wish everything had gone smoothly for our FHE outing...but... 1) Olivia was determined to hold her head up in the hiking backpack and therefore wouldn't relax and fall asleep. Made for a very cranky baby whom I ended up holding in my arms most of the way. 2) Caroline slipped and fell a few times ("I hurt myself!") and it definitely soured her mood. 3) Bentley hiked like he was 10 instead of 5--which is actually pretty awesome and made me very proud of him. But, it meant that he was way ahead of us by the time we reached the wildflower meadow as he'd ventured on with Heidi and Ben up to Cecret Lake. My visions of photographing my darlings as they played amongst the flowers in the perfect light of evening were dashed. 4) All of us hiked on up to the lake with our "less than happy" girls. It ended up being too much of a hike for a Monday evening. Meaning--we got home at 9:30 last night and everyone's schedule was totally shot.

I sound like such a cry baby! It was definitely an adventure (as anything with 3 kids seems to be these days) and well worth the effort. I did get some pictures on our way back down. And because of Bentley's quick pace we trudged on to the lake--always a picturesque view.

Livies preferred method of travel. I think I am spoiling her...

Our family at Cecret Lake

Happy Anniversary! A hike with crazy grandchildren to celebrate their day :) 37 years and counting. I love that they are still so in love...

Cares enjoys a tiny blossom

Bentley in a field of bluebells

My darlings surrounded by indian paintbrush

Next time I need an earlier start, the baby Bjorn for Olivia, and a leash for speedy Bentley...

7 comments:

Heidi said...

That very first photo is awesome. I like them all actually.

I am so sorry we hiked to the top with Beans! I had no idea of your plans to just walk to the wildflowers and take family pics. I feel responsible for ruining your evening and hope you will forgive me!

Carrie said...

Whatever Heid--it wasn't your fault! I think the rest of my fam wanted to make it to the lake too and I just didn't get us up there and have Livs fed fast enough.

It was all good and I am such a loser for whining about it when really it was gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Wait, you told me you didn't get any great shots! Yet these are beautiful! Sorry the night didn't go as planned. I know it would have been the same for us with a feverish baby and already tired kids and no husband available to hike that early in the evening. It is truly stunning up there and maybe I will go up with you if you go again to take the wildflower pictures.

Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad look so cute together on their anniversary!

Krista said...

I think it's always a bit of an adventure in the woods don't you...you never know how your kids will react/behave but I think it looks beautiful...you can also borrow Kai's leash ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bobbi said...

It was a beautiful evening and a great way to spend our anniversary. Bean was a GREAT hiker--poor Cares and Livvie weren't so happy. You are patient parents to them all. Thanks for sharing your photo project FHE with us!