Monday, January 7, 2008

True Colors

I'm thinking of Cindy Lauper's classic 80's version of the song True Colors. My dear friend Katherine put it on mix tape for me back in high school and I have loved it ever since. This will sound cheesy but it kind of describes my attachment to old, real, solid friends. The kind who love you when you are awkward and going through puberty. The kind who are there through very powerful, life-changing events. The kind who love you at 7:00 am, fresh out of bed, and at 1:00 am when you get all loopy and silly. The kind you can not see for years at a time but feel totally at ease with as soon as you do reconnect. The kind you share good news and bad news with because you know they'll be there for you when you need them. I have these kind of friends, some from high school, some from college and some from grad school. And I love them like crazy.

I've known these 4 ladies for about 16 years now--man have they seen it all with me!!With Erin and Paul Nielson--BYU friends extraordinaire. I knew Erin and I were kindred spirits while dancing together during college and seeing her again after almost 5 years sealed the deal--I love this girl and her adorable family.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Care I love the pic of your high school friends. You all look modern and fresh yet the same- none of you have aged!

Bobbi said...

We love those high school friends of yours, too. They are fine women, you are blessed to have them as your loyal friends! And you are looking great, like Heidi said. Hi to all of you from me!

Anonymous said...

So crazy that they do all look the same but just updated. What a great group of girls. Isn't it a blessing to have those friendships still?

Team Gilmore said...

Oh, my cute friends. I wish I could have been there as well. Such good times we've had. I'm so glad we've stayed connected as we go through these different phases of life. Love you guys!

Katherine said...

Well, I haven't thought about mixed tapes for MANY years, but "True Colors" was always a favorite to include. Funny that Heidi said the same thing that I said to all of you at lunch! My dear friends are still the same amazing people that I have loved for all of these years. Can't wait until the next get together...maybe a girl's weekend??? Love you Care!!!