Tuesday, December 18, 2007

This is the Season

A few ways in which I've been getting in the mood for Christmas:
1) Going to Ballet West's The Nutcracker on Cecily's birthday. I honestly love that ballet with all my heart. Even though I have seen and performed in it over 25 times, it still fills me with excitement and anticipation to hear that beautiful, oh so familiar music and see the wonderfully enchanting costumes and choreography. This year, my 2 1/2 year old niece came with us and her rapt attention and joyful little face during the entire thing brought new magic to the performance. I simply cannot wait to bring my own little Caroline!
The birthday girl and the ballerina in training :)

with the adorable Horsley kids (who I'd love to claim as my own kids :)

2) Sleeping at the Hotel Park City on Friday night as part of an overnight date with my hubby. It was super cold up there in PC but so lovely with all the fresh snow and huge dripping icicles hanging from every roof line. Our room was ultra deluxe and very dark which allowed for an amazing night of sleep--one that was gladly welcomed after the busy, busy week we'd just had. In the morning we shared a huge, delicious breakfast with John and Krista at a local joint, Good Karma, before heading home to pick-up the kiddies from their sleepover with Grandma Bobbi and Grandpa Sherm.

3) Seeing the Christmas Lights at Thanksgiving Point for FHE last night. The best part of this little adventure is that we never had to get out of our car in the 30 degree weather :) The lights were kind of cheesy but we turned on carols in our car and had a jolly old time. And I loved that the very end showed the lyrics to all the verses of the great primary song This is the Season accompanied by big, poster size illustrations of all things relating to the nativity. It was the perfect way to end our little activity and I loved hearing Bentley ask me if those were the 3 wisemen in one picture and Joseph and Mary in another--he is really grasping the story this year.

On a more random note, Bentley was looking through our "Lift the Flap Nativity" book with Joseph during Sacrament Meeting on Sunday and finding all the gifts which the wisemen brought to Jesus. He looked at a gold, trophy-like cup and said in a whisper "Daddy--he brought baby Jesus a Piston Cup"--true Cars fans will know what he means :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maddie is seriously a ballerina in training! She has been performing for us daily since the Nutcracker. And now she won't wear ANY clothes besides dress-ups unless we are leaving the house. Even if I fight her to get clothes on in the morning, she inevitably comes in with no pants or socks, asking me to take off her shirt. Then she runs into her room and puts on Ariel or one of four other princess outfits. She can now get into all of them "by a self." Thanks for bringing your camera that night and capturing such sweet moments. And thanks for spending my birthday evening with me!
Cutest comment by Bean...I know what a Piston cup is!

Heidi said...

Oh I have been waiting to see one of you post about Nutcracker- sounds so great! I can't wait to someday go with my neices too ;-) And that top photo of you with Maddie is hilarious she looks like a doll- what are her arms doing? Okay now I need to read the rest of the post...

Krista said...

that is so funny about bentley. Good times this week. I especially loved the park city part. I want to go back this weekend! I also can't wait to take sisi to the nutcracker. I hope that can soon be a tradition each year.

Krista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bribets said...

Carrie...
Fun to find your blog! THanks for the Christmas email card! I'll send you an invite to my blog. Have a Merry Christmas!

Bobbi said...

It was a wonderful Nutcracker evening together. And funny Bean with the Piston Cup comment! Little children make the holidays (and everything else) so delightful and magical.