Sunday, April 15, 2007

Happy Birthday Tye

Here's to my one and only big brother. It's funny that I can remember several birthdays of Tye's when we were growing up because I always wanted to be a part of them. It looked so fun to have Easter egg relay races and run around in the yard and play crazy boy games. If I didn't get included in his birthday games then Tye totally made up for it in our free time together. I remember him teaching me how to play all of our Nintendo games and Contra as a team became my favorite thing to play together. We spent many summer evenings rollerblading around the neighborhood or up in the Country Club, playing ping-pong out on the deck or badminton in the backyard.

When I started high school as a little, insecure, awkward Freshman, Tye was starting his Senior year. Although we all know he basically did his own thing, he was a cool guy and everyone at Highland knew who he was. I was so so scared to start high school but what made a huge difference to me those first few days was driving to school with Tye in the big Suburban and knowing that if I ran into his familiar face in the halls he would smile back and even say 'hi' to all my friends and me. A Senior actually acknowledged us! It was a huge deal in high school terms and I really appreciate how nice he was to us and that he let us join REEC (the coolest club ever :)

As we've grown up I have seen a lot of sides of my brother and learned a lot about him. He is incredibly smart. He is a good writer--the kind that holds my attention easily and quickly, even when I'm reading about sports (not so much my favorite:). He is a laundry fanatic, the best onion dicer I know, and full of trivial knowledge. I would say "useless trivial knowledge" but I have seen how sharp he is when playing Trivial Pursuit so I know it's actually useful. He is a good man and I am happy when I see him acknowledge and embrace it. He is in love with his wife and his cats and hope he will be equally devoted to his kids when he becomes a father. I am excited for that step in his life and how the future will shape him.

Thanks for the fun memories Tye! I hope you are having a relaxing and fun birthday today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for REEC! What a funny and creative and controversial club~so typically Tye! My friends and I were all entertained by his appearances on HTV and it was frequent that I would have to follow his anouncements which was hard to do because I would be laughing too much. I remember several hours of nintendo gaming with him as well but I could never beat him!
Happy Birthday Tye!

Heidi said...

Well I never went to high school with Tye and I never played Nintendo with him, but my favorite memory is when I was little and he would babysit, he would always come "tuck" me in, which meant he would completely tuck all the covers in around me so I could not move an inch. I thought it was so hilarious. Happy Birthday big brother!