Thursday, April 26, 2007

Happy Birthday Heidi

Here's to my little sis today. And what a perfect little sis she is! I love to picture Heidi as a fluffy haired, scratchy-voiced, fashion conscious, "Dad film me," 5 year old girl. I've always wanted my own toe-headed daughter to remind me of her--but nieces will do just fine too :)

Heidi has always been my friend. When we were little she was the best companion for playing American Girl dolls, Playmobile Victorian house, dress-ups and fashion shows, and restaurant (with our carefully coded menus :). As we grew older, I began to see Heidi maturing and growing up. I was inspired by how sensitive, nurturing, and compassionate she was (and still is) even when she struggled to find friends who were as loyal and true as she was. During a particularly hard time in my life, right when I was starting college, Heidi's comforting nature seemed to anchor me in the storm. It was a time when I honestly felt the weight of the world and very, very sad. I don't know if Heidi remembers, but she slipped me a card the morning before I moved down to school. It was perfect--a card filled with the loving words I needed to hear. Her kind words and sweet sentiments cradled my troubled heart and showed me what real love is. I knew then that she was my ally and my friend forever.

Heidi is beautiful, her heart is very tender, and she is a loyal and devoted friend. She dresses amazingly, blogs like crazy (which I love!) and is steadily becoming a great cook. I love to see Heidi playing with my kids, bearing her testimony, talking about her true love Ben, and hanging out with our family over the holidays--she has always been the #1 fan of everything Christmas! I loved visiting Heidi in London and forging a bond that now holds my 2 sisters and me even closer together (as we all lived at 27 Palace Court during a Fall semester). I love Heidi's laugh and her gorgeous smile and her fiery stubbornness too :) She is a dear soul to all who know her and I love her so much! Happy Birthday!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Care I do not remember that note I wrote you- but I do remember writing you notes in general ;-). I have always looked up to you so much. Thanks for the kind words (PS- I hope I can someday provide you with some toe headed nieces)

Anonymous said...

She is very thoughtful. I have several notes from her younger years and they are so sweet! And her blog is the best! It is a fun way for all of us to learn more about her. And I am sure there will be adorable toe-headed babies coming from the Allen family!

My Little Hobby said...

Care, you are so right about all that you said about your sis. I stalk your blog now and then (and your mom and I have become blog friends) because I can't seem to twist my sisters' arms into blogging, and I love that you do. You three sisters are so cute and you're such wonderful, amazing women. I admire you all. --Kelly

(Sorry...I was logged into my other blog and don't feel like retyping all this to log in as a different user.)

Catherine said...

I heart little sisters! What would we do without them. Heidi is such a gentle giant. I love learning more about her from all your blogs! Can't wait to hear about the girls weekend! I wish I were coming because I feel like I am the long lost 4th Smith daughter.

Katherine said...

What a fun post!! I love Heidi too. She is the ultimate blogger, and will undoubtedly produce some beuatiful toe-heads. Have a fabulous girls'weekend in SG!