Monday, May 11, 2015

Goldilocks 2015


 
 
This post could also be titled "the coldest and wettest ride of my life." Which is sad! But I made it an incredible distance in all the rain, had my best cycling coach (and top person) by my side, and at least trained a ton and enjoyed every single ride I fit in all in the name of preparing for the race. I did not ride 100 miles. Boo. But I rode 50 (I even think it was like 52) and that seems pretty heroic considering how soaking wet the whole day was. And there is always next year to try for a century right?!

The morning started out dry enough, even though it was quite cold. We actually got quite warm and comfortable once we were riding and cruising along. I think we fit in close to 30 miles and were feeling really good when the rain just started flying down. We stopped at the Maverick at the Ranches and tried to reinvigorate ourselves (which Diet Mtn Dew and chips are very good for!) but the rain just didn't abate — not one single bit!
 

We kept riding hoping it might finally clear a little but we just got wetter. We had rain dripping off our noses like an overflowing rain gutter,  and rain dripping off our thighs right into our shoes and socks! It was seriously miserable but then again really funny because who would ever ride in that?? We finally made an executive choice to head back to one of the pit stops at a covered pavilion and hope that we could call for a ride to take us back to Daybreak. It was a good decision. I couldn't even move my hands by then and I was getting so chilled. Luckily a support truck was really close and we were able to get in and warm up. I had to wring my socks out they were so wet! Such a crazy adventure that I'm never repeating (!) but I'm glad we gave it a heroic effort. Of course Joseph makes everything funny so I never felt totally defeated. One of these days though...one of these days.


Warming up in our "rescue" truck!

Back at the finish line. I still wasn't fully warm until I had a hot, hot soak in my tub later that day.

No comments: