Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Zoo Afternoon

The weather was exceptionally lovely during the rest of the kids' spring break, but it meant that everyone (seriously, everyone) in the valley was determined to get outdoors and enjoy it. We had ambitions of enjoying the zoo on one of our lazy days and so we drove all the way over there to discover way too many people clamoring to just find a parking spot let alone get in. I do not do well with crowds and lines so we skipped out that day, parked at This is the Place Monument, had a picnic lunch on the grass, ran around to get wiggles out and drove back home. I promised the kids we'd come back to the zoo the next week after school one day hoping we'd find the place less packed (am I the meanest mom for not just going for it? Maybe I am lame but it just looked too overwhelming for me!)

some shots of our impromptu picnic


I think we discovered the secret to the zoo! We went back a week later right after school and seriously saw 10 other people while we were there. It was awesome! We could see every animal and had optimal viewing. In addition, Luke could roam and run all over without getting lost in a sea of people. It was a great little adventure for us that day. The only sad thing is that a big chunk of the zoo is closed down right for a huge construction project that won't be done until next year. I am pretty sure we won't go back until that project is finished—it should be a pretty cool addition though.

 
 
 
 

 Seriously, hardy a soul in sight...

A very interesting log! This baby was so curious. He would have crawled inside but there were lingering puddles from the morning rain so I wouldn't let him.

 We got pics on so many bronze animals that day!



And just to prove that I was there and being silly with my kiddos in the Asian Highlands...channeling my inner wicked witch (which surprisingly wasn't very hard :)

As much as the crazy weather lately has made outdoor plans pretty tricky, I do love spring around here. The beautiful rain making everything so green, the chance to wear a cozy sweater but have to ditch it later in the day when the sun comes back out, the smells of heavenly blooming things everywhere, and the daily growth of blossoms and color, riding my bike in perfect 65 degree air—not too hot, not too cold. I really am a summer girl at heart but these changing seasons are so beautiful and unique every time they arrive. Love this wonderful world so much.


3 comments:

Bobbi said...

Amen to that, love this beautiful Earth, too. Great idea to go so late to the zoo, lots more fun without the crowds. Luke is a fearless little explorer and he makes me laugh! Those are cute kiddos and an even cuter witch!

Heidi said...

Zoo sounds way better with less people and a little bit of cool weather.

Anonymous said...

I cannot do the zoo crowds so this actually looks appealing to me!