Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Stripes for the Girls

I think I get antsy for something new and orderly every year around this time. Maybe it's the cooped up nature of winter but I have lots of rearranging plans in my little head and the first one we acted on this year was the girls' room.

They have been sharing for over a year now upstairs next door to Luke. The bed they shared was a trundle and after about 1 month of pushing it back in every single morning I gave up on it and just left it out most days. It took up a ton of space in the room and by the summer I knew the girls were needing their own beds more separate from each other (meaning Cares needed to be able to sleep without Livs reaching down and tickling her or rolling off onto her :)

Since coming home from Hawaii we have spent most of our free time turning the guest bedroom in the basement into a new girls' dream room. There wasn't much in the room except an old dresser and queen size bed. But we had big plans for the old dresser! Of course I have been thinking and planning and daydreaming about it for almost a year using Pinterest so it was easy (and so fun!) to put into action.


Priming the one wall we'd be painting. The kids were so eager to help. Joseph was such a good sport and really patient with them (for about 20 minutes and then they were exiled while we finished up :)
Then came the evolution of the striped wall. 
It was a little taxing getting the tape on straight but I love the results.

The dresser had it's own little revival. My girls think it's really cool that I used the very same dresser when I was growing up. It's actually in remarkable shape and was super easy to dress up with new paint. The trick is simply a bonding primer so you don't have to sand. 
Then the new paint will stick to the primer beautifully. 
The paint color is Behr "mermaid treasure"—could not be more perfect for the little ladies' room!
 A close up of the new chandelier. It's from IKEA and my hubby installed it himself. Easy.
  
The girls' first night sleeping in their room. 
The room got a little more finished each day last week as Livs and I moved bedding and clothes and doll stuff and special things. Over the weekend Joseph and I finally got around to hanging all their pictures and making the room completely done.
What aspiring ballerina doesn't adore Degas? 
These prints were also mine as young girl and I still love them.

The closet. A huge reason I wanted these girls in that room was for this—it is huge and has such a great set-up. It still has tons of empty space even with all their clothes in it.

The day before we started painting we had some crazy freezing rain here in Utah. It was awful and so slick. I have never fallen on ice at my house but of course, that day, I did. I was trying to clear off a little pathway on my driveway for my YW before they came over that night and bam, I fell right on my tailbone on my slick, slanted driveway. Anyway, it's been nearly 2 weeks now and every time I bend down it hurts a ton. I felt bad because Joseph ended up doing the bulk of the painting because I simply couldn't without wincing in pain. Seriously, why am I such an old woman?!

Now to recover from painting for a few weeks before beginning something else. I have big plans for the room we just moved the girls out of!


6 comments:

Flori said...

Oh, so SO cute!!! What lucky girls. Mine will all want me to hire you as our decorator. Love the paint, dresser, everything. It looks great. I can't wait to see what you do with the upstairs room!

Flori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

I am excited to see what will happen withthe room upstairs now. Sorry about the tailbone sis!

Anonymous said...

It really is just the cutest. and so fun to have a change! I am with you on doing projects like this in the middle of winter...it somehow brightens everything up!

Anonymous said...

And a total bummer (literally) about your tailbone. I hope it goes away soon.

Lizzy said...

What a DARLING room sweet friend! You always do things so well!