Friday, October 26, 2012

Youth Conference

Nothing like jumping into my new calling with Youth Conference right around the corner! I am not entirely sure how it got planned for October this year (postponed from the summer) but it was, and we had a lot to prepare for. Our BYC basically consists of the YM president, the 3 YW class presidents and me (we have like 4 YM right now, most of them deacons). This meant my Laurel president and Mia Maid president were asked to plan so much: choose the theme, assign activities and talks, and plan things to share themselves. I have to say I was extremely proud of them and the time they took to make so much happen. I have no recollection of doing anything like that when I was a YW so I appreciate their involvement and willingness to work so much!
Our whole crew on Friday night including the bishop and brother Stokes (bishopric) and his wife

Our theme was "Building a Temple of God" inspired by the intro in For the Strength of Youth. Our brief weekend began by heading up to my parents' cabin. The youth were loving it up there the minute we pulled up. I was so happy to have an amazing place to convene when I knew it was hard for those kids to give up their Friday night. I knew they weren't thrilled to be heading to Youth Conference instead of the high school football game, but I think we managed to change their minds by the end of the night! (I was sad that 3 of my YW are on the HS drill team and had team obligations and couldn't come. When we are so small every single person really makes a difference.)
 
While dinner cooked in the oven we pulled out some fancy modeling clay and everyone sculpted something(s) that helped them build their testimony and draw them to the temple. Then the kids indulged in skee-ball and air hockey and jamming on guitars until we ate dinner. After, we gathered for our fireside where my newest counselor gave such a great talk on temples, why we build them, what sacrifices have been and are made for us to worship there, and how we need to be focusing on the temple and making and keeping sacred covenants.
 I made Sister McCleary re-enact her talk so I could snap a pic :)
The rest of the night was spent playing crazy games (good, wholesome recreational activity to be sure but still super silly and hyper :) We did Noah's Ark and One Truth and 2 Lies, until just before midnight. Those teenagers are such fun and so energetic! We were all laughing and having a great time. Then off to bed. The girls all slept in the big bunk room together and the boys shared a room far off in the basement. I think those YM stayed up until like 2:00 am playing skee-ball while we were all slumbering upstairs (those YM leaders are saints for hanging out with them so late!)
In the morning we had an awesome breakfast and then watched a video about temples before heading out on a hike. I was so nervous about the hike being a total disaster as it had been pouring rain the whole night, was definitely still very cold and wet when we woke up, and we were basically surrounded by a thick cloud. It was so gorgeous up at the cabin with all the fall foliage and I wanted our youth to be immersed in it and enjoy the natural beauty as we hiked. I thought about canceling it or changing it off and on in my head all night, but instead just hyped it up and made like we were planning on it all along, rain or shine or fog or whatever.

And it was beautiful. The fog rolled in and out and the trail was a little muddy, but the leaves were still glorious, the scenery enchanting and spirits so high. We had 2 short talks given by the YW class presidents in a clearing on our hike and they even had laminated handouts with the temple and a great quote on them for all of us (I was so proud :) 
because we're cheesy like that

I thought the forest and colors and everything surrounding us was stunning. 
I just had to keep taking photos (as you can see)


 
Back at the cabin we ate our lunch, cleaned and packed up, and were home by about 3 in the afternoon. I was elated that 1) we had done it! and 2) it turned out to be such a positive, uplifting, bonding, and teaching experience. The youth could not stop talking about it at church the next day and they had such enthusiasm in their comments. Cool. I took a 2 hour nap on Sunday to recover from it all :)

**I left my littles in the best of hands with my amazing hubby. On Saturday they all built a mega fort together in the front room and had it all cleaned up and put away before I got home. And Cares made me the cutest little picture—melted my heart and made me so glad to be home with her again.
(note on the side says: "to mom, from Cares. I hope you had a good time. Did you have candy?")



4 comments:

Heidi said...

such pretty colors up there, gorgeous.

too funny that I can't tell which girls are YW and which are the leaders. In one couldn't even find you for like a minute

Bobbi said...

I know you are a loving, organized, and inspired YW leader, Carrie. Those girls are so blessed to be in your care. I'm glad it all worked out for the hike and for the kids having a great time up at the cabin. The colors were wonderful--love all your photos! And Heidi is right, I had trouble finding you in all the girls, too!

Krista said...

This looks like you guys had such an awesome time! I think that is so awesome you did the hike anyway and it certainly was gorgeous. They are lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

Love the photos from the cabin...gorgeous! Looks like such a cute group and the activities sounded so great. I would have loved you as my YW leader!