Monday, October 15, 2012

New Calling

Oh my goodness, life has pulled a big change on me. Last month I was called as the Young Women's President in my ward. I knew a change was coming as I was already serving as the 2nd counselor when our president told us she was moving. But I was really surprised and so humbled to get called as the president...really? me? I was in tears at the bishop's office to be given that calling, mostly because my heart suddenly felt like it would burst with the love I felt for my young women. I have been serving with them for almost 3 years now and I know them all so well. We are a small ward (after a split that happened in January) and I only have 11 girls, but they are amazing.

So far it has been such an incredible experience. I have never, ever prayed like I've prayed in the past 6 weeks. Calling counselors and organizing the leadership was totally new for me and I felt so much help from Heavenly Father. I have the most wonderful women serving with me and one of my counselors I had never even met before—but I knew I needed her as her name just kept coming to me again and again. And she has been the best help for me thus far too—so reliable and such a good, good person, and so excited and willing.

I love the other women I serve with too. The day we were all set apart together in the bishop's office was one of my favorites. The spirit was so strong and the blessings offered so beautiful and personal. A few of my leaders are experiencing rough trials right now and our bishopric was so sensitive to their righteous desires in the prayers they offered. It felt like the perfect beginning to our journey together.

I truly feel so much responsibility for the beautiful girls I get to serve. I keep thinking that one more prayer in their behalf has to help somehow, that one more visit when they are feeling low, one more cheerleader at their swim meet or dance performance will be good for them even if it's in the smallest way. My young women are strong and talented and smart. But they have real struggles and really hard things in their lives too. I worry for them so much and my heart hurts for them too. I am realizing how powerful prayer can be lately and I am so grateful I can call on my Father so often and that I am learning more and more how to rely on His help. I cannot solve the things that are hard for these girls but I can pray like crazy for them and ask Heavenly Father how I can be a force for good in their lives. And I'm armed with 6 other women who are eager and willing to do the same. Wow, did I ever have any idea what my Young Women leaders did in my behalf? The answer is not in the least! But I am seeing now...hindsight huh?
(5 of my amazing young women at youth conference this past weekend)

I attended my first ward council yesterday morning, have held 2 presidency meetings, attended a few extracurricular events for my YW, held youth conference this past Friday and Saturday, and attended the regular Wednesday activities like always. Coming up we have stake training next Tuesday night and Young Women in Excellence to prepare for in November. This calling is quite a busy one. Plus, every time I open my computer I have emails to send, reminders to give the girls, notes for my presidency and calendaring items to figure out. I think I'm going to carve out a 30 minute period every morning to get all that YW business dealt with each day, and then not worry about it again until the next day's allotted time. Hopefully that will help me stay on top of everything (quarterly reports! annual budgets! calling a camp director! new class presidencies!) but not overwhelm me. I still have this crazy gig as a mommy of 4 which needs most of my effort as it is.

I think this lovely blog is going to feel rather neglected in the future but I don't want to lose it as our family journal/album. It may just be a more sparse record than I'd like! Even now I am making Olivia watch a Barbie movie just so I can get this post done while Luke sleeps. No matter that I have been wanting to write this post for more than a month!


8 comments:

Krista said...

This is where you've been!! I've been wondering. You will be awesome with this calling. Don't forget to blog sometimes or I'll have to call and bug you all the time. :)

Heidi said...

Care you are going to make such an amazing YW president! I have said before that those girls were lucky to have you and now even luckier to have you as the pres. I am so proud of your commitment to them and the Lord and service

Heidi said...

and also ditto to what Krista said ;-)

Maggie said...

So exciting and crazy at the same time. Our yw in excellence is tomorrow. :) good luck with your busy calling... That is a lot to do with so many little ones but you will be great.

Angela Jensen said...

Those girls are so lucky. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

This is a huge calling and a great blessing to those girls who already know and trust you. You will be so busy (on top of already being busy) but you will be amazing. Truly.

Bobbi said...

I am so proud of you and confident that you will be an excellent leader, a force for good in those girls' lives. It is a huge calling, but one of the sweetest you will ever serve in.

Flori said...

You will be so awesome. I was terrified last year when I got called as YW secretary--I have never served there as an adult but I have grown to love it so very much. It is really a great privilege to work with these amazing young women and I work with great leaders too.What a great opportunity for you AND for them!