Monday, June 18, 2012

Ballerina Girl

 UDA Show: Happiest Place on Earth
Caroline's piece: Find Your Wings and Fly, June 15th 2012

Performing as a newly winged fairy, Caroline danced in her end of year ballet recital at Kingsbury Hall this past weekend. I volunteered to help backstage since 1) I know my way around Kingsbury pretty well (the dancers I teach perform there every year too) and 2) I haven't been the most reliable dance mom this winter (new baby and all) and I wanted to redeem myself a little in my daughter's eyes.

We had lots of fun together on our long drives to the U of U on both Thursday (dress rehearsal) and Friday. And Cares proved to be a great backstage aide in helping all the  Kindergarten classes with costume and hair changes (many girls were in a ballet and tap piece in the same show and us volunteer moms had our hands full helping more than 50 girls. It was total mayhem!) Caroline and I were also lucky enough to make it to Maddie's performance in the earlier show before going backstage and that was quite a treat—love to watch that graceful girl dance too.

One moment I will treasure forever: during Caroline's dance she saw me just off stage, watching in the wings, and gave me the happiest smile as she soared around stage with her sparkly wings. It was heavenly to see her enjoying her performance so much. She truly worked hard to be practiced and ready for the night and it all paid off. Many of the girls in Cares' class kept their eyes on her to know what came next in their piece—and all the while Caroline just smiled at the audience and danced away through the whole song. I love that she had such a postive experience with ballet this year and since she is planning on doing more next year, we'll see how she grows with it.
 Caroline had plenty of adoring fans 
and Nanny and Grandpa even brought her a lovely white bouquet
 Maddie performed in the 6:00 pm show and Caroline in the 8:00 pm show on Friday night. My parents were there to see both girls perform too but had to go before the end of Cares' show.
Dancing cousins
Joseph brought Caroline the vibrant, orange gerbers. Caroline told him on Father's Day that she loves him because he always brings her flowers. Clever girl.
Of course I couldn't be more proud of my dancing girl. Love her.


3 comments:

Heidi said...

having spent a good chunk of my life as an adoring fan of her mother's dance performances, I definitely need to see this lovely lady dance one day as well. Sounds like a blissful evening

Anonymous said...

You guys were awesome to bring flowers to Maddie too...she thought that was the best! Caroline was a sweet little dancer and I loved remembering her mom dancing for so many years.

Bobbi said...

It was a beautiful night, loved watching both of those granddaughters dance so gracefully and confidently. Caroline seems to love it like her mom, her happiness shows in her dancing. I remember those days of driving to the rehearsals, and helping backstage, and a heart swelling with love and joy to see a little daughter do so well.