Friday, January 1, 2010

Ring In the New

Happy New Year!


I wish you all the best in 2010--and tons of streamer covered tickle wars throughout the year!
(or even just 1 because they are that fun :)


We celebrated the holiday swiftly and early last night (as in 7:45 pm early...but my kids didn't care one bit as long as they got to blow those horribly annoying horns, do poppers out the back door and shout and cheer and bounce all around.)

Today we had the local LeBaron clan over for pizza, sledding, hot cocoa and games. Such fun we had!



And what would a New Year's post be without some resolutions?

1) Daily scripture study as a family.

This is kind of a big deal for us--a new addition to our daily schedule...for like the next 18 years at least! But we broke ourselves in last month and discovered that our children are loving our discussions about the Savior and prophets of old. Since Christmas we have been using our spiral bound Gospel Art Kit book. The kids trade nights choosing out a picture to read about and then discuss. So far, we have learned about the Garden of Eden, Elijah and the priests of Baal, and the Savior's 2nd coming. Good stuff in there...

2) Sending thank you notes and other "real mail" frequently throughout the year.

I'll start with Christmas even though I am so behind on thanking everyone for all the lovely baby gifts Olivia (and I) received this year. I am such a hypocrite because I love to get those little notes from my friends and family when I have sent something their way--and yet I have been so very bad at sending them out. I am eager to just send off cards and letters here and there too. Real, tangible, mail is always fun to receive.

3) Visit teach

This calling always ebbs and flows for me. And I have been in a really long ebb...But I have amazing sisters to visit and I'd really love to see more of them so I am going to change, plain and simple.

4) Do at least one thing every single day that I will treasure.

Some ideas: rock Olivia longer than I should and adore her sweet baby body resting on me, play make believe with Cares and become part of her fantasy world, engage in art projects with Bentley, read more than 2 books with him at night just to take in his new reading skills, watch the snow fall with my childern, play in it with them after, kiss my husband right when he walks in the door from work.

I have a hundred other ideas and hope new ones will emerge unexpectedly. My goal is to focus on my family and building those tender relationships whenever I can. I want to embrace the now and soak it all up while I can. And now I am really looking forward to 2010.

4 comments:

Joseph said...

I'm really looking forward to those kisses right when I walk in the door! And 2010.

Heidi said...

I don't think I have made new year's resolutions since maybe high school!

Ringing in the New Year at 7:45 is my kind of celebration!

Bobbi said...

Great resolutions, Carrie! And it looks like a fun celebration--even at 7:45! Dad and I went to a movie that night and were thinking we would call you after and come over to play games or just say hello, but we were too tired after the show and came straight home. Happy New Year!

Krista said...

great resolutions and how did we miss this party?? Wait, turn the car around...I didn't know you were having a sledding day. :) Fun talking with you the other night...did I already tell you that? Oh, my poor poor brain. Will you forgive me? It's going....